Tuesday, March 1, 2011

another poem, of course.

Apt 256

would you let me stay if I promised to clean the mold out of the coffee pot

and always kept the sink empty.

would you let me stay if I promised to stop crying

and didn’t get mad at you for spying.

will you let me sleep at the foot of your bed

if I promised not to snore or roll around

will you let me live here,

I promise I dont take up much room

and I dont make much sound

would you let me stay if I promised to always turn out the lights

would you let me stay if I was immune to fights

would you let me live here, I’ll clean out the closet and make it my home

so I could still hear your heartbeat when everything else is quiet

would you let me stay if I didnt insist on singing along with everysong

especially the ones i dont know at all

would you let me stay if i never lost my keys

or my phone or my wallet or my mind

would you let me live here if i pormised to remember everyhting i did

would you let me stay here if wasnt still a kid

would you let me live here if i didnt have fits of rage

would you let me stay if lived in a cage

you always said i was your bird

i would sit on my perch and never be heard

you can clip my wings

and lock my beak

but would you pet me at least once a weak?

tell me my feathers are pretty

and im your favorite dove

feed me worms made out of love

would you keep me if i was a basset hound

one that didnt trainging but was always around

i wouldnt bark and i wouldnt shed

id use your dirty laundry as my bed

would you let me stay if i was a drum

you could beat me as i listened to you hum

would you let me stay if i was your favorite place to sit

id carry your wait and never want to quit

would you let me stay if you could put me in a picture frame

you could look at me and i’d always be the same

not like i am now… always different than what you expect

built with out a mind and impossible to define

would you let me stay if i was you

always saying things that are true

would you let me stay if i was a wax candle

one that didnt burn you and didnt come unmantled

because right now im all over the place

and i dont seem to fit

and the look on your face tells me that your ready to quit

making more space for me to stay.

but maybe i could live on the patio

and youd never have to know

that i always kept my ear to the door

listening to your live a one man war

maybe i could be a welcome mat

or your gray hat

or your iphone

or your flannel shirt

or your shadow

or maybe I should just leave.





-Chynna






2 comments:

  1. still my favorite. have you read charles bukowski? your stuff reminds me of his a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure of the prompting of this poem, but I know the feeling behind it.

    ReplyDelete